Friday, April 24, 2009

Pondering Prayer







Have you ever thought about the purpose of prayer? I have been pondering this for a little while now. I follow McMama's blog and she had a great post earlier this week regarding the same topic.

The question is, if God knows ALL things, even before they happen, then why should we pray? I mean, since God already knows the outcome of the situation for which we are praying, then what is the use? That's a good question, right? Should we assume that we might be able to change God's mind by our prayers? But again, God knows all things so wouldn't He know that He was going to change His mind, and again, what would be the point of praying because God already knows what decision He is going to make?

As I pondered these questions, I thought about several things . . . . . one being my love for my husband. Scott knows that I love him, he just knows it. But don't you think that he likes to hear me say those words? Think about it.

Also, as disciples, we are called to live a life that models Christ and Christ, himself, prayed to God the Father while here on earth. Not only did He pray himself, but He encouraged His disiples to pray.

Luke 18:1 Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
Okay, so if Jesus himself prayed and taught His disciples about the importance of prayer, can't we gather that it was IMPORTANT?

Absolutely!!
I also have been thinking about my prayer life. About the difference it makes when I go into my bedroom, close the door, and get on my knees before God. I can pour out my heart to God about anything and everything that is on my mind and then I stop. I stop to just feel God's presence and to be quiet and hear from Him. I stop and I ask Him to meet with me. That moment is sooooo powerful and I can feel God's presence so clearly with me that I sometimes think if I open my eyes, I will see God sitting there in front of me. And He is there!! Isn't that amazing?

And what about those specific prayers that we pray for healing, safety, health, etc. Yes, God knows ALL things but He desires for us to bring our requests before Him, He desires to hear our voices calling out to Him. He desires to hear us say that we love Him.

Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayer requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for the Lord's people.
Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray continually
So prayer, is it important? Yes! Is it a necessity? If you want to deepen your relationship with Christ, then Yes!! Its a necessity! I don't know what I would do if I didn't know that I could meet with my Lord, daily. What would I do if I didn't have the faith that I have, knowing that He hears every word from my mouth and my heart!! He truly is an awesome God and so very worthy of our praise!!

If you've never taken the time to find a quiet spot, a place where you won't be disturbed, to be alone with God, to pray to Him and to just sit in silence and beg Him to meet with you, you should. Its absolutely amazing to feel the presence of God Almighty. And don't feel that you have to offer up some long-winded prayer full of big, impressive words. That's not what God is looking for. He just wants to hear your heart. He wants to hear you say that you love Him and He wants you to invite His presence to sit with you . . . . . . will you?

Have a great, prayer-filled weekend!
Angela
BTW, you'll notice Isabel's busted lip in the pic. Well, the little dare-devil was rocking too high and too fast on her rocking horse and she took a nose dive, head first over the front and onto the hardwood floor. It was just awful!! There was blood everywhere!! I'm soooo thankful that her daddy is calm during disasters!
The other pics are from the zoo and the park!

2 comments:

  1. Angela, I just received your comment on our blog and I wanted to THANK YOU!!!! Deeply, truly... THANK YOU!

    Blessings,
    Cindy Foote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela!
    Just got your comment on your blog. I commented back on that same blog, but figured I come here too to say YES! We will find a way to get all that formula over! Not a problem!

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete